Sunday, April 17, 2011

Temple! And Las Fiestas Agostinas (The August Festivals)!

Do you think that I would be able to go to this? That possibly, just maybe, they would let me out of the Guatemala MTC for a day to go see it, and be there? Does the MTC allow such adventures?

I want to see the cultural celebration. I want to go through the Temple. I want to do ordinance work there and introduce investigators and members to this beautiful and sacred building they just gained.

do you think... that could possibly happen?



P.S. Call me selfish, but I also want to be there for this thing that I found:

The first week of August El Salvador has a national holiday that is complete with athletic events, religious celebration, art shows, beauty pagents, food, dancing, costumes, parades, theatre - a mass migration to the beaches and resorts. It's Las Fiestas Agostinas - The August Festivals. One whole week of partying in honor of the patron saint of El Salvador – Jesus Christ.
It’s a Salvadoran tradition dating back to the early 1500′s when the Spanish brought Roman Catholicism to Central America. Businesses and even large sections of the government all shut down. There’s a 4 a.m. parade with a marching band on the 1st – a wake-up call that it’s time to celebrate!
The holiday culminates on August 6th with el Día del Divino Salvador del Mundo (the Day of the Divine Savior of the World). There is a tradition called ”La Bajada” (which means “The Descent”) in which the people from the surrounding mountain villages “descend” into the capital city of San Salvador (which of course means “Holy Savior”). An image of Jesus is carried through the streets to the Metropolitan Cathedral. There, the image is lowered into a waiting globe and then brought back up out of it, dressed all in white. It commemorates the “Transfiguration of Christ” story in the Bible - where Jesus, Peter, James and John are on a mountain and Elijah and Moses appears with him, Jesus’ face "did shine as the sun, and his raiment was white as the light"…then a voice from heaven says, “This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him.” (Matthew 17:1-13)
Costumes
Monument to the Savior

La Bajada
La Bajada
Metropolitan Cathedral
Transfiguration of Christ

I think once I get to this country... I may not want to come back.

No comments:

Post a Comment